Interfaith Earth Week Activities (April 21-27, 2012)
Specific action plans: In Washington, D.C. there will be a series of activities during the week of April 21-27 organized by a number of faith-based and sister organizations.
- IMACC (Interfaith Moral Action on Climate Change) is organizing a sunrise vigil, an interfaith service and a religious procession from the New York Avenue Presbyterian Church to the U.S. Capitol.
- 6:30 a.m. to 9:15 a.m. – Sunrise Vigil at the Martin Luther King, Jr. Memorial. 8:30 service with Bill McKibben, Ibrahim Ramey, Indigenous leaders and Luci Murphy. See MAP for MLK, Jr. Memorial here.
- 9:15 a.m. – 10:00 a.m. Procession to New York Avenue Presbyterian Church (1313 New York Avenue, N.W., Washington, D.C.)
- 10:30 a.m. – Multi-faith service at New York Avenue Presbyterian Church. Participants: Imam Johari Abdul-Malik, Della Adams, Dr. Carroll Baltimore, Roya Bauman, Sr. Simone Campbell/SSS, Rev. Richard Cizik, Rev. Theresa Dear, Rev. Jim Deming, Rabbi Fred Scherlinder Dobb, Mohammed El-Idrissi, Sarah James, Rev. Alan Johnson, Fr. Paul Mayer, Mohawk Clan Mother Louise McDonald, Rev. Janet Parker, Dorthea Thomas, Kusum Vyas, Rev. Lennox Yearwood
- 12 noon – 1:00 p.m. Procession to Upper Senate Park at the U.S. Capitol, 200 New Jersey Ave.; shared brown-bag lunch and vigil.
- 1:30 p.m. – Commissioning Vigil at the Capitol
- 2 p.m. – 4:30 p.m. Congressional visits on Capitol Hill: Constituent group meetings with members of both houses of Congress.
- 4:30 p.m. – 6:00 p.m. Closing, sharing, and benediction, Lutheran Church of the Reformation, 212 E. Capitol St.