Water is one of Earth’s most vital resources, that plays an essential role in the sustenance of life. But in its natural form, water contains large amounts of magnesium, calcium, iron and other minerals, making it challenging for daily use. This is called hard water. To eliminate the various challenges of using hard water, water softeners are used before its direct consumption. The water softener removes all the contaminants from water, acting as a magnetic sponge to pull those minerals away, thus making it safe to use.
Impact on the environment
Softening of water with the help of a sodium-based water softener comes with a heavy cost to the environment. Listed below are some of the brutal side effects water softeners have on our environment.
- Sodium based water softeners increase the amount of water consumption.
- It also causes harm to the plants as they cannot handle high volumes of salt. Sodium that is present in softened water tricks plants into believing that the amount of water in them is enough to sustain life, thus interfering with their water balance. This leads to the plant to dry up and finally die.
- Water that is already softened is not capable of being recycled again, probing a threat to the environment.
- When softened water is discharged into the water bodies, like rivers, lakes, and oceans, the sodium and calcium ions present in the salt cause severe damage to the marine and aquatic life.
- Although it helps reduce magnesium and calcium, there is an increase in the amount of lead and other metals along with sodium in softened water.
Salt-free water softener
In order to escape the many hazardous effects traditional salt-based water softeners have on the environment and our the overall well-being, it would be a wiser option to replace the same with salt-free water softeners. With a great track record of eliminating bad pollutants from the water, salt-based water softeners leave the excellent minerals intact. Hence, Some of the many benefits of the newer salt-free water softeners are:
- The water tastes better because of the presence of carbon in it
- Does not harm the marine life when discharged into the water bodies.
- Allows you to save up on buying salt for the water softening, as you don’t have to constantly buy bags of salt.
- Provides you with sodium free water that doesn’t contain salt, thus preventing many environmental problems.
Thus, with salt-free water
Sodium based water softeners probe a dangerous threat